Saturday, September 29, 2007

Jane Gwenith 9.20.07


*LABOR & DELIVERY:) I know it is so long, but it's hard to leave out the details!
At 41 weeks pregnant, I was desperate to meet my baby girl.
Danny and I spent the a week thinking, praying, and talking to others about our options on whether to have a scheduled C-section or to be induced. We decided that we would ask Doctor Jones about a gel that many people mentioned could help your cervix prepare for an induction, and tell him that we planned on being induced. I just couldn’t get past the idea of not experiencing a contraction or not attempting a vaginal labor.
That next doctor’s appointment, Dr. Jones agreed that an induction was a good idea and he said that he normally doesn’t offer the gel, but in my case it wouldn’t hurt. We went into the hospital the night before my induction date (Wednesday, September 19th) and I received the cervi gel. We had to wait for about 45 minutes until it kicked in. They warned me that there was probably going to be some discomfort such as burning and cramping. They said that very rarely it would cause contractions (1 in 20).
Afterwards, Danny and I went out to eat at Wingers or as Danny phrased it, “Our Last Supper.” While we ate, I started to experience some of the “discomfort” that the nurses mentioned.
After dinner we went home and anxiously went to bed knowing that tomorrow I was going to deliver our baby girl. We were fourth on call, so we were not sure what time we would be called to come to the hospital.
That night I started to experience what I thought was the “cramping” the nurses warned me of. At about 12:30 a.m. I was awoken by the pain and didn’t sleep the rest of the night. I lay in bed and tossed and turned. I kept getting up to go to the bathroom and rubbing my stomach from the pain. I thought to myself, “no one warned me well enough that the gel would cause THIS kind of discomfort.” As I watched the clock, waiting for the night to be over, I started to notice that the “cramping” came in waves and in patterns. As I watched I realized that they were coming about 5 minutes apart. I started to wonder if I was having contractions and not just cramping. I had heard from my prenatal class that if you get in the bathtub and the pains increase and become more regular, then it is true labor. Around 5:00 a.m. I got in the tub and tried to relax. Finally, the pain became strong enough that I had to wake Danny and have him dial the hospital. I told them what I was experiencing and they said that on rare occasions that gel can put people into labor. They told me to come to the hospital if the pains started coming 2-3 minutes apart. Danny started to watch the clock and noted how closely they were coming. When we realized that they were getting closer and closer (2-3 minutes apart) we hurried and got ready, packed, and in the car.
We were checked in to the hospital at 7:45 and I was dilated to 3cm and was 100% effaced. I couldn’t believe that I had actually gone into labor on the day that I was suppose to be induced!! Words can’t describe how excited Danny and I became. In no time Sara, my sister, arrived followed by my mom, and then my dad. We were all so excited that a baby was on her way!
Once we arrived, my water was broken I was given my epidural. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR MODERN MEDICINE!!! I can’t imagine going through all of that without an epidural! At 1:45 p.m. I was dilated to a 6, at 2:35 I was dilated to an 8 and at 3:04 I was at 9 ½ cm. That is when all of the excitement began. I had invited my mom, Sara, and Valerie (mother-in-law) to be in the room when the baby was delivered (as long as they stayed up by my head ha-ha). They quickly became my cheerleaders. I started pushing at 3:16 p.m. with the help of Danny and a cute young nurse. I pushed, and pushed, and pushed, AND PUSHED. I was extremely thirsty for some reason and all I could have were some lousy ice chips. I don’t know how anyone can expect someone to deliver a baby without any sleep, food, or water. It was the most strenuous thing I have ever done. Danny was absolutely perfect. He cheered me on, told me he loved me, rubbed my leg, fed me ice chips, and stood by my side the entire time. I never expected the pushing to last as long as it did. Dr. Jones would check in every now and again to check on the progress. It was so frustrating to hear that the baby was not crowning. Finally at 6:00(18 hours after I went into labor and 2 ½ hours of pushing) Dr. Jones told me to push though the next contraction with all of my might. I pushed harder than I ever thought possible and when it was over I saw tears in Danny’s eyes. He was so sweet. Dr. Jones explained that I even though I was pushing as hard as he had seen anyone push, that my baby was just not making any progress. He explained that my pelvic bone was way too small for the baby to fit. He told me that he could attempt using forceps, risking tearing me to shreds and harming my baby, or we could to move to a C-section. He was kind and gentle as he explained my options. By this point I was completely exhausted and emotional. I cried as Danny and I agreed to move on to a C-section.
Danny left to get dressed in his “whites” and they wheeled me in to the surgical room and prepared me for the C-section. I was so exhausted and overwhelmed that I just couldn’t wait for it to be over and to have my baby girl in my arms. I was so happy when Danny came in and held my hand. In a room full of strangers, I really needed him by my side. They lifted me onto the surgical table and placed the big blue sheet in front of my face so that I couldn’t watch them cut me open. The only thing I could see was whoever was standing right at my side (usually Danny). I was warned by one of the doctors that it was going to be a quick process, but that I would feel a lot of pressure. That was an understatement. Because I had been pushing so hard for so long, my baby girl was lodged deep down in my pelvic bone. What should have been a quick process, soon turned into quite an ordeal. Danny watched the procedure and said that the doctors were in to their elbows from every direction and still could not get her out. I started to wonder if it was ever going to end. Then at 6:30 p.m. Danny said, “Here she comes” and I waited to hear that beautiful cry. However, I waited and waited and the cry still didn’t come. Our baby girl had been put through so much stress that she was not breathing on her own for nearly 2 minutes. I started to panic and to cry. I couldn’t see anything that was happening but I knew that it wasn’t good. I kept pleading with Danny to tell me what was happening, but he was oblivious to the real stress that she was in. Her apgar level (which should have been at a 9) was at a three. The doctors had to really work to get that first cry. When I finally heard it, I felt a huge sense of relief, but quickly the cry subsided again and there were only the voices of the doctors and nurses. It took at least 5 minutes (and eternity to a new mother behind a blue curtain) for the baby to be breathing on her own. They had to use a breathing pump to help her to breath, which left her with a very red face. They weighed her in at 6 lbs. 13 oz. (small for a baby who was 10 days late and who couldn’t fit through her mother’s pelvic bone).
I finally got to see and hold Jane Gwenith Jackson for just a minute before they took her to the nursery to go through some more testing. From what I could see laying down, she was beautiful. I was so happy that she was going to be ok. From that time on, everything is a blur. I remember having to wait a long time to be stitched back up, and then I had to return to labor and delivery to have my vitals tested for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile Danny was with the nurses and Jane, and all of our family members were peeking through the glass windows. I just couldn’t wait to be able to see and hold her again. My heart also longed to see my sweet husband. Finally, they wheeled me down to the Mother Baby floor where my family was waiting for me. Then the nurses brought in my baby girl. I couldn’t help but cry when I was able to truly hold her for the first time. She was exquisite. I was overwhelmed with joy to finally have her and to have that huge ordeal over with. I was so grateful that we were both healthy and strong. I have to keep reminding myself that if I would have been a pioneer Jane and I would both be dead. Thank goodness for doctors and nurses who know what they are doing!

Coming home with Jane was so much more natural then I thought it was going to be. In fact, everything was. I was expecting to be somewhat awkward and uncomfortable with a newborn baby, but it has been just the opposite. It is almost as though I have always known and loved her. I am so lucky to have a baby who is a good nurser (in fact I think she taught me and she gained back her 10 oz. that she lost in the hospital in 3 days), a good sleeper (already sleeping through the night with doctors permission) and who has the sweetest temperaments of any newborn I have been around. She is truly and angel. Danny was nervous to have a newborn and insisted that he would not be very good with one. However, he is the most darling dad! He turns into absolute mush every time he is around her. He puts his cheek to hers and I watch him melt. He took a week off from work and was devastated when he had to go back. I didn’t think that I could love Danny any more than I already did, but every time I see him with Janey Gwen, my love for him grows stronger.
Today Jane is officially 1 week and 1 day old. I can already see the changes taking place with her. I can hardly stand the fact of her growing bigger. It already seems to be happening too fast. Danny accidentally pulled off her umbilical cord (luckily it was ready) the other day and I nearly cried when I had to throw it away. I don’t want her to grow up. I just have to keep reminding myself that with each stage of life, there are wonderful things to look forward to. However, I can’t seem to think of another stage where life could be so perfect. I love being Jane’s mother... I am so blessed!




Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kristin Bishop said...

Annie-
She is sooo beautiful...and I'm sure totally worth the wait, although I was almost in tears reading about your ordeal. Watch...your next few children will be quick and painless! You deserve it at least! I can't believe how perfect she is. I have looked at your post 10 times in the last 24 hours. I love her little rhintestone binkie...she looks so sweet. I hope you are doing well and have lots of help while you recover. I am excited that she is here and that you get to put that part of the "journey" behind you and start the best phase of your life! It really is the best. Every stage will slip by so fast...and you'll probably cry each time (like I did) but it's crazy how the next stage always seems to be your "favorite"! Thank goodness we get to have more...just think of it that way...and enjoy! She is perfect. I hope to see her someday soon:) Congrats!

Allyson said...

Annie-
I don't know you. But you sound just so amazing. I am bawling at your post, and I'm so excited for you and your healthy, beautiful baby girl! I'm also a teacher, and have felt the same concerns you said you did. It looks like your own are so completely different than the ones you teach. Congrats with everything!
Allyson Bowcutt

CBS said...

Annie. Ive only met you once (at Chelseas wedding) but when she told me you were over due by a week and told me a little about your delivery I knew I had to check your blog. I cannot believe how similar our labor experiences are!! I was one week late, sheduled for an induction, went into labor the night before my induction, got water broken, got epidural:), pushed for hours, CRIED...and had a c-section TOO! I seriously relived my labor when reading your experience and I just cried. I really hope you arent are emotional and tramatized as I was after the whole ordeal. I am sure you are loving being home with your sweet baby. There really is nothing more precious in life!! Enjoy every minute:)

Anonymous said...

Annie,

If only you could see me right now. I am a blubbering mess! Good thing I get to see all of you in 5 days! I just wanted to send my love once again and let you know how truly happy I am that you get to experience something so...ETERNAL! :) See you soon!

Pam said...

Annie, your family is darling. Your little Jane is too cute. I'm glad she is here. So sorry labor was long. Atleast you looked beautiful when it was all over!

Chelsea said...

i miss her:( and you too of course!